Monday, July 27, 2015

Urban Terror

Hello! Here's what I hope is the first of many posts to document my re-adventures in miniature wargaming. I've been been painting miniatures off and on for twenty-five years or so. I'm much more of painter than gamer; in fact I'm not sure if I ever played a miniature wargame. My time and space are limited now (kids), but I still enjoy this hobby as much as I ever had.

My current obsession is modern warfare. I've been reading lots of books about post Soviet conflicts and few on wars in Yugoslavia and Iraq. To "game" these battles I've decided to go with Rolf Hedges excellent Liberation Miniatures. No other range comes close to depth and variety he stocks and being 20mm they are compatible with all the 1/72 models out there (for when I get around to painting the AFV's I've bought).

My primary interest is the wars in Chechnya. I started painting some forces for these wars using RH's Urban Terror range, civilians with light equipment and Soviet weapons. Some work better than others for this conflict, but they all should fit for some war or other that interests me. The miniatures with helmets, knit caps, fur hats and the one figure with hood and AK47/BG15 work best in my opinion.

I've picked colors according to a large collection of photos I've amassed from the web of these wars. In the past I used a wash or dip of some sort to try and pick out detail, but henceforth I've decided to forgo that approach and try my best to emulate the work of Piers Brand and a few other great 20mm painters I admire. To base the miniatures I went with dirt and trash - urban, but not too urban as to be out of place in some village or other. I'm really happy with the results.


RH Models URBAK


RH Models URBAKEER


RH Models URBAKM40


RH Models URBSVDFIR; URBSVDMOV


RH Models URBRPK


RH Models URBRPG


RH Models URBPKM


RH Models URB14

No comments:

Post a Comment